Friday, November 6, 2009

Uncarved Pumpkins

Last week I had a huge Differential Equations test on Wednesday, and naturally the morning of I fell asleep around 3 am reading over my notes, ran out of gas on my way to school, and lost my credit card somewhere between the gas station and class. I barely had room in my worried brain for integration and phase portraits by the time the test came. Anyway, I got through the test, cancelled my credit card, and ordered a new one. Yesterday I drove home to Marietta to get my new card, and I was noticing the halloween decorations in my neighborhood. Even though my parents' decorating ceased when I moved out, I noticed massive, human-sized spiders crawling up cotton webs strung from the porches. There were detailed jackolanterns and halloween lights amidst homes that were made into small stages of haunted scenes. I have never really noticed the intricate detail of the suburbian holiday decorations, probably since I was constantly surrounded by them growing up, until I began to see the drastically unimpressive attempts at pumpkins and other halloween decorations that adorned the homes in buckhead.
I LOVE carving pumpkins, and Ididn't get to this year because I was so busy the week prior to the spookiest day of the year, so my boyfriend planned on carving them last night to appease me and drove to five different places to get the discounted pumpkins. There were none! Our date failed, but as we drove around I saw plenty of uncarved, perfectly plump pumpkins which could have served a far greater purpose than just sitting on porches~ uncarved!
Anyway, moral of the story, I couldn't believe the difference between the pathetic decorations of the city and the extravagant scenes put on for halloween by the suburbs. I think it may be contributed to the strong emphasis on family and children in the suburbs. No family with small children would ever get away with uncarved pumpkins. It is interesting how the overall demographic of areas such as the suburbs and the city affect so many aspects of life including details down to the small decorations of a not-even-national holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment